Jason Z. Murray
A graduate of Queen’s University at Kingston with a Bachelor of Laws, and the University of British Columbia with a Bachelor of Arts, Mr. Murray served as a law clerk to seven justices of the Supreme Court of British Columbia after graduating from law school. Mr. Murray was admitted to the British Columbia Bar in 2003.
Mr. Murray practised for six years in the litigation department of a large national firm and, more recently, for four years representing clients in a wide variety of class actions. He is a partner at our Vancouver office.
Mr. Murray has a broad range of experience representing clients in commercial, insurance and product liability litigation and Aboriginal law.
Mr. Murray has represented clients before all levels of court in British Columbia and before tribunals, including the British Columbia Utilities Commission. He has advised clients with applications and appeals before the National Energy Board, BC Environmental Appeal Board, and the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Mr. Murray’s representative experience includes:
- conducting personal injury trials involving brain injury, psychiatric injury, chronic pain, and business losses;
- representing commercial clients in breach of contract claims;
- advising First Nations, industry and government clients on the implications of Aboriginal rights and title on resource development;
- working with industry and First Nations communities in the negotiation of impact and benefit agreements;
- acting as counsel in a significant Aboriginal rights and land title trial, Roger William v. British Columbia;
- prosecuting and defending class actions involving medical products, pharmaceuticals, consumer products, deceptive/misleading marketing, and government and institutional negligence;
- representing students in university student discipline hearings;
- representing an oil and gas client before the British Columbia Utilities Commission in the first common carrier/processor and rateable take application in British Columbia in over thirty years;
- representing a marketer of wholesale energy products and services intervening before the British Columbia Utilities Commission in an application to exclude facilities from the Utilities Commission Act;
- providing environmental and regulatory advice to clients pursuing regulatory and ISO compliance; and
- serving as campaign legal counsel to political parties, electoral campaigns and candidates.
Mr. Murray’s representative cases include:
- Jones v. Zimmer GMBH, 2011 BCSC 1198, aff’d 2013 BCCA 21. Counsel for the representative plaintiff in a successful application to certify a national class action against the manufacturers of the Durom acetabular hip implant.
- Chalmers v. AMO Canada Company, 2010 BCCA 560. Counsel for the representative plaintiff in an appeal upholding certification of a class action against the manufacturers of Complete All-In-One MoisturePLUS contact lens solution.
- Jones v. Zimmer, 2010 BCSC 1504. Counsel for the plaintiffs in a successful effort to resist pre-certification disclosure of medical records in a medical product class action.
- Zhang v. Law, (24 June 2009), Vancouver M061981 (B.C.S.C.). Counsel for the defendant in an application to exclude from evidence at trial a surreptitiously obtained audio recording of a medical examination.
- Transpacific Petroleum Corp., et al. v. The Minister of Petroleum-Egypt, et al. (12 September 2009), Vancouver S083864 (B.C.S.C.). Counsel for the Egyptian Minister of Petroleum in a successful application to strike claims on the basis of state immunity under the State Immunity Act, R.S.C. 1985, c. S-18.
- Tsilhqot’in Nation v. British Columbia, 2007 BCSC 1700. Counsel for the Provincial Crown in landmark litigation involving the elements of the test for establishing Aboriginal title to land and the duty of the Crown to consult and accommodate in respect of development of land over which Aboriginal rights and title are asserted.
- Purewal Blueberry Farm Ltd. v. The Corporation of the District of Pitt Meadows et al., 2005 BCSC 1220. Counsel for an insulation manufacturer in an application denying a plaintiff an order adding the manufacturer as a party to an construction defect claim.
PUBLICATIONS & COURSES
Mr. Murray has authored papers and presented on a variety of topics such as class actions, Aboriginal land claims, fiduciary duties of pension trustees, trial procedure, contaminated sites and tort liability.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Vancouver Bar Association
- International Commission of Jurists – Canada
- International Association of Jewish Lawyers and Jurists
- Chair, Pacific Region, Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs
- Director, Centre for Israel and Jewish Affairs