Kristen A. Balcom
Kristen obtained her law degree (J.D.) from Dalhousie University’s Schulich School of Law in 2013. Prior to attending law school, Kristen obtained her Honours Bachelor of Science degree in Biology from Queen’s University. While studying at Queen’s University, she was a member of the Women’s Varsity Rowing Team.
Kristen completed her articles in 2014 and practiced for several years in the litigation department of a large national firm before moving her practice to Eyford Macaulay Shaw & Padmanabhan LLP.
Kristen has a varied general litigation practice. She has experience defending a wide variety of insurance claims, including product liability and personal injury claims. She has acted for both insurers and insured parties in coverage disputes and she has advised clients on professional liability issues.
Kristen’s practice also includes: municipal law and property-related matters, including expropriation, maritime law, environmental law, and aboriginal law.
Kristen has appeared as counsel in the BC Provincial Court and the BC Supreme Court. She has also represented clients in a variety of alternative dispute resolution processes.
- Member, British Columbia Expropriation Association
- Member, Canadian Maritime Law Association
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Presenter, “From Curbside to Store Front: Risks of Rewards From the Business of Marijuana“, Educational Seminar, June 2016.
- Co-Author, “The Hazy State of Medical Marijuana Regulation in Canada“, Educational Publication, March 2016.
- Co-Author, “A New Regime Begins: The Water Sustainability Act is Brought Into Force“, Educational Publication, March 2016.
- Co-Author, “Scope of Limited Liability Clauses in Rail Tariffs,” Federal Court of Appeal Case Alert, February 2016.
- Co-Author, “Advance Costs: Another Blow for Litigation ‘Hail Mary’ “, The Lawyers Weekly, August 2015.
- Co-Author, “Changing the Face of Hazardous Products: Aligning WHMIS with the GHS in Canada“, Educational Publication, July 2015.
- Research Assistant, “The Controlling Mind – Exercising Legal Control: Its Obligations and Liabilities” Environmental Law Chapter, Carswell, 2012.